A Real Scare!

I went to the OBGYN for a glucose screening test at the end of my 26th week. This is the test that checks blood sugar levels. Much to my dismay, I failed the test! This meant that I might have gestational diabetes, as my sugar levels were high. As a result, I had to schedule a 3 hour diagnostic test the following week, which would determine whether or not I had gestational diabetes. For three days, I had to load up on carbs (3 candy bars per day!) to encourage my body to process larger than normal amounts of sugar. Then, I had to fast (I couldn't even drink water!) for about 10 hours prior to going to the OBGYN for the test.
Well, I went in for the test and had a vial of "fasting blood" drawn. Then, I had to drink this high potency sugar drink. I was practically dying of thirst, so the lab tech kindly gave me a dixie cup full of water...that would be all I could drink over the following 3 hours. So, every hour, I had another vial of blood drawn...I was so tired, thirsty, and bored sitting there in the waiting room! While waiting, I read a book, The Happiest Baby on the Block, which Marsha Duncan let me borrow.
I finally started home after the last vial was drawn. I was so hungry and thirsty, that I almost passed out while driving. I had to pull over, eat, and regroup before I could complete the drive home.
Well, anyway, I received a call from the nurse on Monday...good news- I passed the test! PRAISE GOD!! No gestational diabetes! But I am monitoring my carb intake more closely now, just to be safe.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home